My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Mass., United States

Monday, August 21, 2006

Ouch!

I have now been at my current job one year as of this week, up to this point nothing too crazy has happened...until today. Sometimes the doctors have clinics and we see the patients and do breathing tests on them before they are seen. There are normally 3 locations where we see patients. The 2nd floor where the main lab is located, the 7th floor where most of the doctors have their clinics and the west campus in interventional pulmonary where we see most inpatients and bronchs. I was on the 7th floor (we just have a satellite system up here where we only do one type of test although according to my boss we will be expanding that soon). I was seeing a patient who has a history of getting light headed during the test. For this reason we prefer to have the patients sitting down although some prefer to do the tests standing. This particular patient was sitting and was performing the test well...towards the end I noticed the patient was getting light headed but then he started to shake and tipped over the opposite direction from me. I grabbed onto his arm but he was taking the whole chair over with him. The room I was in is very small so if you fall chances are you are going to hit something. He was headed right for a wall corner that sticks out. I pulled him away from that as he was falling but he still fell off the chair face first onto the ground. He had a nose clip on his nose which took off a decent chunk of skin off his nose. He was also bleeding pretty profusely. I got one of the pulmonary docs to take a look at him. The poor guy needs stitches. I felt so bad, luckily the guy has a good sense of humor and took it well. He was even more concerned about not missing his appoint versus getting his nose checked out. At least i made it through my first year without any drama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home